SMILE: A Revolutionary Procedure From Zeiss
What Is SMILE?
SMILE is an innovative, proven refractive eye procedure designed to correct nearsightedness (also known as myopia) and astigmatism.
SMILE stands for Small Incision Lenticule Extraction. Much like other corrective surgeries, SMILE uses lasers to gently reshape the corneas. However, SMILE does not involve the use of scalpels, the creation of a flap, or the removal of surface corneal tissue.
SMILE is quick, minimally invasive, requires very little downtime, and offers similar results to LASIK.
Request a consultation to find if SMILE is right for you.
How Does SMILE Work?
The basic idea behind all refractive surgeries is to reshape the cornea, changing the way the eye refracts light and providing clearer vision. SMILE uses a different method than PRK or LASIK to achieve similar results.
In SMILE, our ophthalmologist begins the procedure by using a laser to separate a small layer of tissue from within the cornea. This tissue is called the lenticule and it is the approximate size and shape of a contact lens. The laser will then create a small incision in the surface of the corneal. Your surgeon will remove the lenticule through the incision, completing the procedure.
Why Should I Consider SMILE?
- Minimally invasive: The incision required for SMILE is very small, average at approximately 2- 4 millimetres – about the size of a grain of sand. There is little to no discomfort associated with SMILE, and patients can typically resume most normal daily activities the next day.
- Quick & simple: From beginning to end, the entire procedure only lasts a few minutes. In fact, the actual reshaping portion of the surgery is typically finished within 30 seconds.
- Less recovery time: Many patients experience clear vision within one day of surgery. In most cases, patients find their vision has fully stabilized after 3 months.
- Eye health & quality of life: SMILE is significantly less likely to cause dry eyes than other corrective surgeries.
- No glasses or contacts: SMILE was designed to improve your vision and help you see clearly without the help of glasses of contact lenses.