What Is SMILE?
SMILE is the latest evolution in laser vision correction surgery from ZEISS. This procedure is gaining in popularity and has already been used to correct millions of refractive errors worldwide.
SMILE is quick, minimally invasive, requires very little downtime, and offers similar results to LASIK. Request a consultation to see if SMILE is right for you.
At Horizon, we are proud to be the only laser center in Saskatchewan to offer this advanced technology procedure.
How Does SMILE Work?
SMILE stands for Small Incision Lenticule Extraction. Much like other laser vision correction surgeries, SMILE uses a laser to gently reshape the cornea. It is similar to LASIK, however, SMILE does not involve the use of scalpels or the creation of a flap.
The basic idea behind laser eye surgeries is to reshape the cornea, to provide clearer vision.
During SMILE, your surgeon will use a femtosecond laser to separate a small layer of tissue from within the cornea. This tissue is called the lenticule and it is the approximate size and shape of a contact lens. The laser will then create a small incision in the surface of the cornea. The lenticule will be removed through the incision, completing the procedure.
Benefits of SMILE
There are many benefits to this revolutionary new laser vision surgery:
- Minimally Invasive: The incision required for SMILE is very small—about the size of a grain of sand. Patients report little to no discomfort associated with the procedure, and most can resume normal activities the next day.
- Quick & Simple: From beginning to end, the entire procedure only lasts a few minutes. The reshaping portion of the surgery is typically finished within 30 seconds.
- Few Long-Term Complications: SMILE is significantly less likely to cause dry eyes than other corrective surgeries due to little disturbance to the corneal surface.
- Reduced Risk: During SMILE, there is no flap cut in the cornea. This reduces the overall risk of complications due to infection and reduces healing time.
- Healing Time: Vision usually stabilizes within a week post-surgery, so that you can enjoy the benefits of your procedure right away.
Who Should Consider SMILE?
Most people who are good candidates for LASIK are also eligible for SMILE. When evaluating your lifestyle, if you are very physically active, we may recommend SMILE instead of LASIK. SMILE is performed without cutting a flap, so the healing time is generally less.
Studies have shown SMILE to be safe and effective for those with myopia and astigmatism, but as with any laser vision correction surgery, a thorough consultation is needed to make sure you are a candidate.
At Horizon, it is our job to make sure you are getting the laser vision correction that suits your unique needs. To learn more about how we determine if you’re a good candidate for laser eye surgery, book a consultation with us today.
What Are the Long-Term Results of SMILE?
SMILE was designed to improve your vision and help you see clearly without the help of glasses or contact lenses. As with any laser vision correction surgery, there are always risks, and your surgeon will thoroughly explain them to you.
Going into surgery with reasonable expectations about what is possible is important. Not everyone will gain perfect vision, but your reliance on corrective lenses should be drastically reduced.
Request a consultation if you are interested in SMILE.
- 203-728 Spadina Cres. E
- Saskatoon, SK S7K 3H2
- Monday: 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
- Tuesday: 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
- Wednesday: 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
- Thursday: 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
- Friday: 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
- Saturday: Closed
- Sunday: Closed
Absolutely amazing service. Before my surgery, Lisa was prompt in getting back to me, and answered all of my questions. I had a couple questions after my surgery as well, and the same service was provided. The staff during surgery day was so kind and caring. They made me feel so comfortable. I’ve never experienced such amazing service. 10/10
The best decision I’ve ever made! It is so wonderful to be able to see at all distances without my glasses! The best part was the staff that took care of me! Horizon Laser is the best 🙂
Very easy, fast, painless. Great experience. Eyes are perfect now